Friday, August 29, 2008

Songs for Your Troubled Dreams


MixwitMixwit make a mixtapeMixwit mixtapes

So I haven't really been sleeping that great lately. I'm not really sure what it is, but it might have something to do with all of the X-Files I've been watching and the fact that I recently read "World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War". Suffice it to say, I've had some weird dreams. For example, on two occasions I have dreamed of the Zombie Apocalypse, and on the second occasion, I was saved by Batman's personal secretary, dressed in a snappy looking pantsuit. Weird stuff, right? Also, I recently dreamed that I was trying to hang out with Kevin Smith but he was totally a dick about it, which kind of messed me up cause I always got the impression he was a pretty cool dude.

Anyways, this mix attempts to capture the feeling and mood of a dream. 1 part strangely romantic yet ominous, 1 part floating/falling, 1 part unnerving/jarring. Yet, with all of this said, dreams always seem to have a strange coherence and consistency that only make sense to you while you are sleeping. This mix is a sharp contrast to Kath's last mix and is intended to be a musical assault. Definitely don't listen to this while falling asleep.

p.s. My apologies for not posting anything last week as promised. I was very busy, and dropped the ball. My bad, sorry dawgs.

original track list
01. "(intro)" - Broken Social Scene (Bee Hives)*
02. "Pennantless on Homecoming " - Hills Like White Elephants (Himalaya)
03. "Soft Revolution" - The Stills (Do You Trust Your Friends?)*
04. "What's a Girl to Do?" - Bat for Lashes (Fur and Gold)
05. "Cliquot" - Beirut (Flying Club Cup)
06. "Tarantulove" - Hawksley Workman (For Him and the Girls)
07. "Bad Education" - Tilly and the Wall (Bottoms of Barrels)
08. "Neighborhood #3 (Power Out)" - Arcade Fire (Funeral)
09. "Devil's Eyes (Piano Version)" - Buck 65 (Secret House Against the World)
10. "The Devil's Workday" - Modest Mouse (Good News for People Who Love Bad News)*
11. "Satan Said Dance" - Clap Your Hands Say Yeah (Some Loud Thunder)
12. "Trouble With Dreams" - Eels (Blinking Lights and Other Revelations)
13. "Cells" - The Servant (The Servant)
14. "Fire Coming Out of The Monkey's Head" - Gorillaz (Demon Days)
15. "Helter Skelter" - The Beatles (The Beatles [The White Album])
16. "Modern World (Original)" - Wolf Parade (Apologies to the Queen Mary)
17. "One for the Cutters" - The Hold Steady (Stay Positive)
18. "Les Lumieres Pt. 2" - Bell Orchestre (Recording a Tunnel)
19. "Pioneer to the Falls" - Interpol (Our Love to Admire)
20. "Zombie" - The Cranberries (Stars)
21. "Nimrod's Son" - Pixies (Wave of Mutilation)
22. "Lolita" - Elefant (The Black Magic Show)
23. "Wolf Like Me" - TV on the Radio (Return to Cookie Mountain)
24. "The Less I Know" - Raine Maida (The Hunter's Lullaby)*
25. "Paranoid Android" - Radiohead (OK Computer)
26. "Feathers" - Man Man (Six Demon Bag)
27. "Mad World" - Michael Andrews and Gary Jules (Donnie Darko OST)
28. "God Make Up Your Mind" - Cold War Kids (Robbers & Cowards)
29. "Pan's Labyrinth Lullaby (Nana Del Laberinto del Fauno)" - Javier Navarette (Pan's Labyrinth OST)

*Yes, I know there are repeats from my last mix. Get over it, they fit really well.

2 comments:

Elisabeth said...

Torrey this rocks.... I think this is my fav one yet :)

Bum Atom said...

nice site easy going, and you talk about dreams, gotta love the dreams