Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Songs for Christmas that Don't Suck Santa's Bells


MixwitMixwit make a mixtapeMixwit mixtapes

Now I hate Christmas spirit as much as the next self-respecting hipster. However, it seems that we are finally at that point in the season where it is simply inescapable, which drives me up the wall. If possible, I would like to go grocery shopping without hearing Britney or Beyonce's latest rendition of some song that used to be good before it was driven into the ground season after season. Seriously, Elvis did it just fine years ago, thank you very much.

Anyways, in an attempt to make the holidays that much more bearable for you, because I love you all that much, I have somehow managed to pull myself away from studying the evolution of emotion to bring you this: Songs for Christmas That Don't Suck Santa's Bells.

On this list, I hope, is the remedy for all that Christmas spirit. There's some bittersweet, some depressing, some unknowns (maybe), and just the littlest bit of cheer (courtesy of your hipster favorites). Hopefully these are songs that haven't been driven into the floor for you. Also important to note, this is a bit of a personal list, and includes some of the Christmas music that I grew up with. This will explain the Bon Jovi and Tom Petty, so Kathryn stop looking at me like that, I know what you're thinking.

Anyways, have a good holiday season, this will most likely be my last post in 2008 since I am leaving the country for the holidays. See you all in 2009.

track list
01. Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) - Death Cab for Cutie
02. Merry Christmas Baby - Bonnie Rait and Charles Brown
03. That Was the Worst Christmas Ever! - Sufjan Stevens
04. The Christmas Song - The Raveonettes
05. Please Come Home for Christmas - Jon Bon Jovi
06. Back Door Santa - Clarence Carter
07. Christmas All Over Again - Tom Petty
08. Christmas in Hollis - Run-D.M.C.
09. Oi to the World - No Doubt
1o. Santa Clause is Back in Town - My Morning Jacket
11. God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen - Barenaked Ladies ft. Sarah McLachlan
12. Happy Christmas (War is Over) - The Polyphonic Spree

p.s. Isn't that picture ridiculously awesome? That's what you get when you google image search "hipster christmas"

1 comment:

kathryn said...

Fuck, dude, I was totally going to do this. Now all I have is my fucking impossible theory paper. You've taken the last shred of joy I had away from me. now instead I will make a super depressing mixtape. quel surprise.

Also, I love Tom Petty, so....yeah. But I'll totally judge you for Bon Jovi.