Thursday, September 11, 2008

goodbye songs -- september 11/08



Due to inexplicable reasons that have since become even more mysterious to me, I chose to go to university literally at the other end of Canada. I'm being facetious - there were, and are, decent and understandable reasons, not the least of which was that particular and desperate need to escape various phantoms and start over. What one doesn't realize when one makes this decision, however, is the peculiar sort of limbo this permanent transit creates. I am not really ever at home. I am usually always saying goodbye. When I am here at school I miss my home province in the most essential ways: I miss its landscape, its weather, its winds and intangible vagrancies. During the summer, I miss the detachment of school from the scattered jetsam that I have accumulated. This mixtape is a collection of these various goodbyes and longings, I have listened to these songs in airplanes.

Yeah, I got all personal there, how un-snobby. Also, apparently Mixwit hates me today and has decided to have none of my favorite songs on this mix. Fine. I bite my thumb at you, Mixwit. Ask me for the mix if you want it, yada yada.

original track list
01. "Grow Up and Blow Away" - Metric (Grow Up and Blow Away);
02. "405" - Death Cab for Cutie (We Have the Facts and We're Voting Yes);
03. "Parachutes (Funeral Song)" - Mates of State (Team Boo);
04. "Coughing Colors" - Tilly and the Wall (Bottoms of Barrels); *
05. "The Wooden Sky" - The Wooden Sky (When Lost at Sea);
06. "You Ain't Goin' Nowhere" - Glen Hansard & Marketa Irglova (I'm Not There OST);
07. "Pictures of Success" - Rilo Kiley (Takeoffs & Landings);
08. "Kelly Brown" - The Earlies (Skins OST); *
09. "NYC" - Interpol (Turn on the Bright Lights);
10. "Cadillac Dust" - Elliott Brood (Tiny Type);
11. "Leaving Home" - The Mountain Goats (Ghana); *
12. "Look into the Air" - Explosions in the Air (How Strange, Innocence);
13. "You've Gone Away Enough" - Mirah (C'mon Miracle);
14. "Moongirl" - stellastarr* (s/t); *
15. "High Speed" - Coldplay (Parachutes);
16. "Muzzle of Bees" - Wilco (A Ghost Is Born);
17. "The Great Escape" - Patrick Watson (Close to Paradise);
18. "At the Hop" - Devendra Banhart (Nino Rojo);
19. "Oh My Sweet Carolina" - Ryan Adams (Heartbreaker);
20. "A Tender History in Rust" - Do Make Say Think (You, You're a History in Rust);
21. "Devil Town" - Tony Lucca (Friday Night Lights OST).

No comments: